In case you hadn't heard, today through Friday are supposed to be hot, hot, hot!
According to the National Weather Service, the expected high temperature today is 96, but with the heat index, it may feel like 104. Tomorrow, the high is expected to peak around 98, with a heat advisory in effect from noon today until 8 p.m. on Thursday.
A heat advisory from the NWS warns: "A heat advisory means that a period of hot temperatures is expected. The combination of hot temperatures and high humidity will combine to create a situation in which heat illnesses are possible. Avoid prolonged work in the sun or in poorly ventilated areas. Drink plenty of fluids, stay in an air-conditioned environment, stay out of the sun and check in on relatives and neighbors. To reduce risk during outdoor work, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration recommends scheduling frequent rest breaks in shaded or air conditioned environments. Anyone overcome by heat should be moved to a cool and shaded location. Heat stroke is an emergency - call 911."
While a pool or the beach seems an obvious place to cool off, it is not recommended anyone be outdoors for extended periods of time. If you are outdoors and want to go swimming, keep the sun exposure limited. And even if you're in the shade, don't forget the sunscreen! Because of the heat, both the Verona and Cedar Grove pools are open beginning today.
Here are five other ways we recommend you beat the heat:
1. Catch a flick. AMC Loews Theatre 14 is showing various films for kids and teens. Among them are Madagascar 3, Men in Black III, Prometheus and Snow White and the Huntsman. Check the listings here.
2. Make your own ice cream. Go here for a recipe that's easy, quick, and on the cheap!
3. Go bowling or take a day trip. Head over to Eagle Rock Lanes in West Orange or go farther out with a visit to Ponderosa Park, a new 20-acre recreational area in Scotch Plains that includes a park filled with fountains and sprinklers.
4. Visit the library. Both the Verona and Cedar Grove Public Library's have dozens of programs and entertainment for people trying to escape the heat. Why not get a jump on those reading logs and cool down at the same time in an air-conditioned space? Both the Verona and Cedar Grove public libraries are open from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. today.
5. Make the best and easiest lemonade ever. Here you go!
- 1¾ cups white sugar
- 8 cups water
- 1½ cups lemon juice
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and 1 cup water. Bring to boil and stir to dissolve sugar. Allow to cool to room temperature, then cover and refrigerate until chilled.
- Remove seeds from lemon juice, but leave pulp. In pitcher, stir together chilled syrup, lemon juice and remaining 7 cups water.