Invite a friend
The Big Bang Still Echoes - Amateur Astronomers. Inc.
Amateur Astronomers, Inc. will host Dr. Michele Limon of Columbia University on Friday evening in the Main Lecture Hall on the Union County College campus in Cranford. Discovered in 1965, the Cosmic Microwave Background (CMB) is the relic thermal radiation from the hot Big Bang that gave birth to our Universe. The CMB has developed into a powerful tool for studying the evolution of the Universe. Dr. Limon will discuss the major theoretical and observational milestones of the past fifty years, the current state of the art in CMB research, and he will speculate on future results.
Dr. Limon holds a doctorate in physics from the Universita degli Studi in Milan, Italy, and is currently a Research Associate at the Columbia University Astrophysics Laboratory in New York where he is working on QIET and EBEX. Both are experiments dedicated to the study of the polarization of the CMB.
A short business meeting will begin at 8 pm, it will be followed by Dr. Limon's presentation. After that, everyone is invited across campus to Sperry Observatory to meet the speaker and view selected objects in AAI's two large telescopes until 10:30 pm. Refreshments will be served.
Admission is free, and we have plenty of free parking. All are welcome!
More About Union County College
Union County College has campuses in Cranford, Elizabeth, Scotch Plains and Plainfield. The community college offers associate degrees and certificates in over 90 programs. Adult education is offered in subjects ranging from medical billing to real estate sales. In addition, a college for kids program welcomes children eager to get a head start on experiencing campus life. A fitness center, outdoor tennis court and observatory are highlights.
Other events here
- Register Now for Summer Continuing Education Classes at Union County College Daily,
- Pharmacy Technician Weekly on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays,
- Ancient Healing Techniques in a Modern World for Mind, Body and Spirit Weekly on Thursdays, 11:00 am–12:30 pm
- Phlebotomy Technician Certificate Weekly on Mondays and Wednesdays,
- Youth Programs, Summer 2013, Union County College Daily,
- College Math Preparation Class, Knewton Weekly on Mondays and Wednesdays, 1:00 pm–3:00 pm
- Adobe Photoshop CS5 Weekly on Mondays, 2:00 pm–5:00 pm
- Electronics Technician Weekly on Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays, 6:00 pm–10:00 pm
- ServSafe July 10, 2013 / July 24, 2013, 6:30 pm–10:30 pm
- Self-Massage for Tension Relief Class Thu, Jul 11, 7:00 pm–8:30 pm