Verona Council Approves New Parking Regulations
New rules banning overnight parking between 2:30 a.m. and 6 a.m. at municipal Lots 1 and 2 aid local businesses.
Verona businesses near Grove Avenue and Park Place will finally see some parking relief thanks to a move by the township council.
Cars are now prohibited from parking overnight in municipal lots 1 & 2, a move that business owners said will help ease garbage pick up and deliveries.
Back in April, restaurant owner Kim Cheung, owner of Belle Gente Trattoria, along with several other affected business owners approached the Verona Township Council asking for the help.
Monday night, the council unanimously passed an ordinance prohibiting parking at metered spaces in Municipal Lot 1 off Park Place and Municipal Lot 2 off Grove Avenue between 2:30 a.m. and 6 a.m.
The ordinance does allow for parking in the lots if the township authorizes it.
Township Manager Joe Martin said the township included that exception to allow crews to clear snow from streets like Bloomfield Avenue.
Verona Police Chief Douglas Huber said the ordinance corrects a flaw in overnight parking rules in the township.
"What we found was that the parking lot meters were not in line with the street overnight parking (rules),” he said.
Huber said “The problem was... people could pull into the (municipal lot) on Friday at 6 p.m., park their car and not have a chance of getting a summons until Monday morning."
In other business, the township said:
• The lobby of the municipal building is being remodeled. New, up-to-code stairs and railings have been installed as of Monday night’s meeting. Workers will soon be cleaning and staining the wood. The job should be finished within the next couple weeks, according to Mayor Frank Sapienza.
• Construction of the Bloomfield Avenue Streetscape will begin next week and is expected to be completed by the end of October, according to Martin.
Project work has included new light poles and fixtures, sidewalk paving, corner ramps and possibly benches and planters and has been broken down into phases.
• Phase 7 of the project stretches from Linn Drive, westward to White Rock Road
• Phase 8 of the project will run from Park Place up Bloomfield Avenue to Park Avenue.
• Phase 9 includes the portion of Bloomfield Avenue, from Park Avenue east to Elmwood Road and Everett Field.